Tuesday 2 April 2013

London Science Museum

I don't really post unless I am demonstrating something or talking about my plans but this post is a little different. (Don't worry it's only a short one.) It is also one of the few times I will post the same post on both my computer related blogs: workingwithcomputervision.blogspot.co.uk and czandg.blogspot.co.uk.

This weekend I went down to London with family and during the trip we visited the Science Museum and I thought it would be nice to share a couple of photos of the exhibits from the computing related departments.

There was some pretty cool stuff there demonstrating both the history of computing and the present day (if there were any future orientated displays I didn't notice them.)



Here are a few that caught my interest enough to get photographed (Keep in mind I'm not a huge history buff so although there is a lot there only a handful really grabbed my attention):

Enigma machines used in WW2 to decipher coded messages.
A demonstration of variables made using the Arduino.
Adjusting the sliders on the left changes the tree at the top. 
An early robot that tracked light.
An exhibit demonstrating 'What the Internet Sounds Like'
This part of it was a couple of hundred text LED displays.
It showed live excerpts from web chat rooms and done patterns with the displays.
There was also a computer voice reading out some of the messages.
I've zoomed in a bit on the display but at this point it was just random words.
Meh, impressive to look at but not all that amazing technology wise.
The Analytical Engine, an early computer.
And that's it. Pretty cool stuff, well worth a visit if you are in London and have some time to spare.

Happy computing!

No comments:

Post a Comment